French Onion Soup with Gruyere en Croute
Made with Albany Superior White Rolls
For the soup
- Caramelize the onions by adding olive oil on medium heat.
- Add the onions and toss to coat with the olive oil.
- Cook the onions, until they have softened, then add the butter and increase the heat, cooking the onions for a further 30 minutes or until dark and caramelised.
- The onions must be stirred continuously to avoid them catching. Add the garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Add the wine scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze.
- Add the stock, bay leaves, and thyme. Bring to a simmer, cover the pot and lower the heat to a low simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Season to taste with more salt and pepper.
- Discard the bay leaves.
For the toasts
- Place the cheese on top of the sliced and toast rolls and grill until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Spoon soup into a bowl and place one cheesy toast onto the top of each bowl of soup.