Mom’s Homemade Meatloaf
Made with Albany Superior Brown Bread
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line a small loaf tin with baking paper.
- Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the onion for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the bacon and mince and fry for 4-5 minutes, or until the meat is browned.
- Stir in the ground cumin, ground coriander and tomato paste.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and allow to cool completely.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf pan and press down well to smooth the top.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the juices run clear when pierced with the tip of a knife.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes, before inverting onto a serving plate.
- Serve in slices with some tomato sauce and seasonal vegetables, mashed potatoes or oven-roasted tomatoes, if desired.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan gently fry the onion and garlic for 8-10 minutes, until softened.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar and oregano. Simmer for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove and discard the oregano sprigs.
- Stir in the sundried tomato pesto or tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Keep the mixture chunky, for a smoother sauce, place half or all of the mixture into a food processor and process until smooth.